Gypsy escapades brings you scrumptious recipes straight from the Chef Mattoos Kitchen. These full of flavor recipes hail from the roots in Kashmir and are widely prominent part of Pundit (Hindu community) Cuisine.
SHYAEM (Meat balls cooked in Yogurt)
|Lamb Boneless (Cut into Half inch cubes and frozen)||1 kg. (5 Cups)|
|Fat||100 gm. (1/2 cup)|
|Salt||5 gm. (1 tsp)|
|Fresh Cream||50 ml (3 tbsp)|
|Black cardamom seeds||10 gm.|
|Water||1 liter (5 cups)|
|Salt||2.5 gm (1/2 tsp)|
|Black Cardamom||2 nos|
|Green Cardamom||2 nos|
|Fennel Seeds||1 tsp|
|Fresh ginger||1 tsp|
|Cinnamon sticks||1 nos|
|Preparation for Gravy|
|Mustard oil||100 gm (1/2 cup)|
|Yogurt||1/2 kg (2.5 cups)|
|Beaten Milk||200 ml (1 cup)|
|Ginger Powder||5 gm (1 tsp)|
|Fennel Powder||30 gm (2 tbsp)|
|Sugar||02 gm (1/2 tsp)|
|Garam Masla powder||5 gm (1 tsp)|
|Desi Ghee||15 gm (1 tbsp)|
- Freeze the clean Lamb cubes.
- Mince frozen cubes of meat along with fat about 5 to 6 times.
- Add fresh cream.
- Add salt and Black cardamom seed and rub nicely with the back of your palm till the mixture becomes thick and fluffy.
- Divide the prepared mince into eight equal portions.
- Roll each portion into 2 inch diameter cylinders.
- In a steel pot of 3 liters capacity pour 5 cups of water.
- Add sliced ginger, fennel seeds, Black Cardamom, Green Cardamom, cinnamon sticks and salt.
- Bring to boil and allow it to simmer.
- Drop the prepared cylindrical meat balls gently into simmering liquid and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cooked meat balls and let them cool.
- Slice the cooled meat balls into 1/2 inch thick roundels.
- Strain the cooking liquor.
- Beat yogurt with a whisk.
- Add milk and strained cooking Liquor.
- Add fennel powder, ginger powder, salt and sugar mix well.
- Heat Mustard oil to smoke point to remove the smell.
- Cool to room temperature and add cloves and Cook till the cloves crackle.
- Slowly whisk in the beaten yogurt mixture.
- Keep string continuously till it begins to boil.
- Drop the sliced meat balls and let it simmer till the gravy thickens and starts coating the meat. About 20 minutes.
- Add Garam masala powder and finish with Desi ghee and serve hot.
|Lamb or Chicken Mince||1 kg (5 cups)|
|Cream||45 ml (3 tbsp)|
|Salt||05 gm (1 tsp)|
|Black Cardamom seeds||10 gm (2 tsp)|
|Green Chilly chopped||05 gm (1 tsp)|
|Ginger Chopped||05 gm (1 tsp)|
|Coriander green||05 gm (1 tsp) (Finley chopped)|
|Black Pepper crushed||2.5 gm (1 tsp)|
|Oil||45 ml (3 tbsp)|
|Onion Sliced||200 gms (1 cup)|
|Black Cardamom||02 nos|
|Cinnamon sticks 1 inch Long||02 pcs|
|Bay leaf||02 nos|
|Ginger Garlic Paste||15 gm (1 tbsp)|
|Yoghurt||200 gm (1 cup)|
|Red chili Powder||7.5 gm (1.5 tsp)|
|Coriander Powder||10 gm (2 tsp)|
|Cumin Powder||05 gm (1 tsp)|
|Salt||5 gm (1 tsp)|
|Long Grain Basmati Rice||500 gm (2.5 cups) (Soaked for 45 minutes)|
|Water||1.5 liters (7.5 cups)|
|Green Cardamom||03 nos|
|Black Cardamom||02 nos.|
|Bay leaf||03 nos|
|Cinnamon sticks||02 nos (1 inch long)|
|Milk||200 ml (1 cup)|
|Oil||50 ml (3 tbsp)|
|Salt||10 ms (2 tsp)|
|Coriander Green||45 gm (3 tbsp)|
|Ginger Juliennes||05 gm (1 tsp)|
|Fresh Mint Leaves||05 gm (1 tsp)|
|Fresh Green Chilies slit||06 nos|
|Brown Onions||100 gm (1/2 cup)|
|Desi Ghee||50 ml|
|Green Cardamom and Mace Powder||1 tsp (In the ratio of 1:1)|
|Saffron||1 gm (Soaked in 2 tbsp. warm milk)|
THE MEAT BALLS
- In a deep bowl take the minced meat.
- Add rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Divide the prepared mixture into 20 equal portions of 50 gm each.
- Roll each portion between your palms into round meat balls.
- Heat oil in a deep pot.
- Add Cloves, Black Cardamom, Black Cardamom, Cinnamon and Bay leaf.
Cook till the whole spices crackle.
- Add sliced onions and cook till light brown in color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook till ginger garlic paste starts sticking to the bottom of the pan and starts to Brown about 2 minutes.
- Add Yogurt keep stirring till the yogurt comes to boil.
- Add red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Add two cups of water.
- Bring to boil and drop the prepared meat balls into the boiling liquid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the meat balls and strain the liquid.
- Return the meat balls to the strained liquid.
- Take water in a pot of 3 liters capacity.
- Tie Green Cardamom, Cloves, Black Cardamom, Bay leaf and cinnamon in a muslin cloth and add to the pot with water.
- Bring water to boil.
- Add milk, oil and salt.
- Cover with a lid and let it simmer for about 10 minutes so that all the flavor of the whole spices is released in the water.
- Strain the soaked rice and add the rice to the boiling water.
- Cook the rice starts floating on the top and is 70% cooked.
Strain the rice.
- In a pot add half of the meat balls and the cooking liquor.
- Cover with 1 tbsp. chopped coriander, 1/3rd slit green chilies, and 1/3 ginger, mint and brown onions.
- Add 1/3 of the mace and cardamom powder,
- Add one tablespoon of ghee.
- Cover with 1/2 of boiled rice.
- Cover the rice with remaining meat balls and gravy, add green chili, ginger, mint, coriander and green chilies, mace and cardamom powder and brown onion as before.
- Cover with the remaining rice and once again cover with ginger, green chilies, coriander green and brown onions.
- Add soaked saffron and seal the lid a lid and simmer the biryani for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Mix together and serve hot
Recipe Courtsey: Chef Umesh Mattoo’s Kitchen